The Tributes Are Announced

It was an exciting day for district four. All of us, the 12 year olds to 18 year olds were buzzing excitedly in a large room. My hands were sweaty from the anticipation as I strutted over to my seat in wait for the reaping to begin. As a career district, all children from District Four are trained for the hunger games from age 8 to age 18. I for one have scored top of my class for girls ever since I was 8 years old. Jittering in my seat, a girl came and sat in the seat right next to mine and didn’t say a word. I smiled at her but she looked away, tears welling up in her eyes. I suppose she wasn’t as excited as I was, because when I asked her how excited she was she said, “How dare you be excited about this, we are about to choose 2 children to go kill other children. How do you find this exciting?” I guess she was right, but Panem had a reason for doing it. To show that rebellion shall never happen again, and I was ready to kill for the cause.

Harper Haney slowly walked across the enormous front stage. She is District Four’s tribute selector. Two bowls lay across a wide table, one filled with boy names, another with girls’. They were like fish cramped into a small pond and Harper’s hand was the fish hook.  She began with a long speech about the Hunger Games and why we have them every year. Many officials came up and said a few words before the reaping was about to finally begin. I twiddled my hands and tapped my feet like a little boy trying to fall asleep on Christmas Eve in wait for her to pull the name of the one lucky girl and one lucky boy who would be able to fight for District Four. She stuck her long slender fingers into the boy’s bowl and took three swings inside before plucking a name out. She slowly and articulately read “John Abernathy.” A tall muscular boy leaped up and the crowd roared. He ran down the aisle and jumped up onto the stage. A smile spread across his face when Harper put the tribute pin on his flannel.

Up next was the girls. This was my moment. Harper smiled as she strut across the stage, she slowly dunked her hand into the enormous sea of names, and plucked one right out. I shook from anticipation as I heard her utter two words which I will never forget, “J.K. Notrowling.” I leaped out of my seat and an enormous thunder of claps and roars up rose and shook the entire building. As I galloped up to the podium in great ambition and dignity, I knew that I would finally be able to represent my District, and win the Hunger Games. This was my moment, and no one would ever be able to take that from me.

3 Comments on The Tributes Are Announced

1. 4lizzyt
    May 15, 2014 at 10:29 pm (10 years ago)

I really enjoyed your post Yasmine! I like how you used the similie about Harper’s hand reaching in the bowl like catching a fish. I also like how you chose to be happy instead of frightened; it made for an interesting twist! If I could change one thing it would have to be how you didn’t say anything about after you were picked.

Reply
  2. 4joem
    May 16, 2014 at 12:41 am (10 years ago)

This was a very good post/narrative, you used great deatails and added some sensory deatails in there too. I loved your similie about Harper’s hand being the hook and the slips being fish. I wish you added alittle more emotion that you had after you were picked. Other than that the narrative was very well written, there were very few gramatical mistakes. Overall, this was a very good narrative.

Reply
  3. pat4
    May 16, 2014 at 11:59 am (10 years ago)

I really liked this piece. The figurative language was really nice and I also liked the part about you being excited. Compared to the usual drab “sadness” of being picked, it was a pleasant difference.

Reply