The Mayhem Continues

As I rub my eyes, I look up at the blazing sun; its rays piercing fictional holes in my fragile skin. Slowly, I get up from my mat of tangles, creepers, and vines and walk over to my newest formed ally, Tom. We embrace and I rest my head on his shoulder  as both our minds wonder off, thinking of home, thinking of the Games, but most importantly, thinking of staying alive. We finally release and smile at each other. I say, “Tom, what if we are the last two left? What will we do then?” His warm caramel eyes drop to the ground before he faintly answers, “Then you win.” I go silent at the thought of having to kill Tom. A long moment of silence passes before I answer, “No, I don’t care what happens, Tom. We are both going to win, or the Gamemakers won’t have a victor this year.” He smiles at my mischievousness and with a smirk says, “Deal.”

I am sitting on a hard fallen trunk, sharpening a wooden spear with my knife. I notice a small paper clip sized frog hop carelessly across my feet. I smile at the sight of how beautiful and innocent the frog looks, bright blue skin, glittering in the sunlight. I call Tom over to show him this small precious frog and then notice about 200 more hop out of the underbrush. Startled by this, I jump up on top of the tree trunk.  These minuscule creatures that I once thought were cute now look devious and spine-tingling. Tom comes running in from the tangle of vines and sees me standing a top this trunk, shivering in fear. Slowly, he walks towards me, trying not to startle the swarm of deadly creatures. He reaches me and grabs hold of my hand slowly bringing me down. Whispering into my ear, he says, “These are Poison Dart Frogs, highly toxic.  They have enough venom to kill 10 grown men. Don’t be startled, we just need to slowly walk away from them okay? Follow me.” My heart racing, I slowly follow Tom, the branches loudly cracking under my feet. I cringe every time I step on a twig, in fear that I triggered the frogs to chase after us. My fear over-coming me, I don’t notice a large branch and a huge crunch startles the frogs. All of a sudden, 200 creatures begin to chase after us. Tom grabs me by the hand and we dart to the right crashing through the tumble of vines and branches. Sprinting down to the beach, I trip and fall, rolling down the hill. Tom tries to catch me but fails. Branches slice my raw flesh. I reach the bottom in a heap and slowly get up, wiping myself down. I take a seat on the cold ground and notice one of the little monsters crawling up my leg; its slimy webs for hands sending a tingle up my body. I bite my hand to stop me from screaming. This is the end, I’m about to die from a frog. A puny little frog, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

3 Comments on The Mayhem Continues

1. 4joshe
    May 29, 2014 at 1:02 pm (10 years ago)

Very good post, however once again you need to make a more exciting attention getter. Also, in the first sentence, I don’t think “fictional” is a very good word to describe the holes, maybe more like imaginary? Or just describe HOW the holes FELT on your skin. The entire point of narrative writing is to describe the EXPERIENCE and not just tell the story. Lastly, and I’m not sure if this is a coincidence but when you and “Tom” agree to not kill each other and to say there won’t be a victor, it’s awful close to the actual hunger games storyline.

Reply
  2. 4megan
    May 29, 2014 at 1:19 pm (10 years ago)

I liked your piece but I couldn’t help but notice in the beginning you piece was exactly like the actual Hunger Games. I also when you said “As I rub my eyes, I look up at the blazing sun; its rays piercing fictional holes in my fragile skin.” this was confusing because fictional is not a good word on how to describe how the sun felt on your skin. It was good but the main flaw is it being exactly like the actual Huger Games by Suzanne Collins when you and Tom agreed not to have just one of you die.

Reply
  3. brad4
    May 29, 2014 at 1:24 pm (10 years ago)

The other two commenters told you how it was exactly like the hunger games book so I wont say that as well. But it was a lot like it. I did enjoy how you added a new character though but I would just like for you to describe him more. We only know that his name is Tom. Where is he from? whats his last name? What does he look like? I demand answers Yasmine.

Reply